Methylprednisolone is a systemic corticosteroid that has many downstream effects on the body. Therapeutically, it has potent anti-inflammatory properties. The onset of action is several hours.
- Acute exacerbation of asthma/COPD
- Anaphylaxis/ Acute allergic reactions
- Use caution when administering to patients with diabetes mellitus, pregnancy, liver disease, or signs of systemic infection
- Do not administer methylprednisolone preserved with benzyl alcohol to pregnant women, breast feeding women, or neonates - benzyl alcohol is associated with serious adverse events in this population
- Adverse effects with single bolus use of Solumedrol are uncommon, although patients on chronic steroids are at risk for a multitude of side effects
Dosage and administration:
- 2 mg/kg IV/IM (maximum dose 60 mg)