DON’T PITCH IT, FIX IT! EVENT
Orange County’s Don’t Pitch It, Fix It! event is part of the Environmental Protection Division’s Pollution Prevention (P2) program. The program is focused on reducing or eliminating the sources of pollution, one of which is landfill waste. Reducing purchases, reusing items, recycling and repairing broken items all help to achieve Orange County’s goal of significantly reducing landfill waste by 2040, as stated in the Our Home for Life Sustainability Plan. The Don’t Pitch It, Fix It! event gives residents the opportunity to have broken items repaired by local businesses and handy neighbors, keeping them out of the landfill.
DON’T PITCH IT, FIX IT! COMMUNITY EVENT
Saturday, April 21, 2018
10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Blanchard Park YMCA
10501 J Blanchard Trail, Orlando 32817
There is no cost for repairs at this event.
Discounted repairs will also be available from April 16 through 21 at participating businesses. Use this map for a listing.
POTENTIAL ITEMS FOR REPAIR
Repair volunteers will try to fix: eyeglasses, watches, clocks, shoes, jewelry, clothing, lamps, tools, electronics, bicycles and small appliances.
As of April 16, we will have repair volunteers ready to fix these types of items:
- Small appliances
- Small electric items
- Small wooden or furniture items
- Minor clothing repairs
- Fishing rods and reels (by Kel’s Rod & Reel Service from Casselberry)
Check back for updates - we will add items to the list as more volunteers sign up!
Local businesses will have the opportunity to meet potential clients, make connections with future customers and help the community. Businesses can participate in two ways:
- Request a window cling for your storefront during the week of April 16 to 21. When a customer mentions the Don’t Pitch It, Fix It! cling, give them a percentage off the repair cost. Keep track of how many customers receive discounts and the savings you provided. Businesses will receive free advertising and marketing promotion through Orange County.
- Join the workshop on Saturday, April 21 as a repair volunteer . Be ready to fix small items for free that residents bring to the event!
As a resident, there are various ways to ensure the success of the Don’t Pitch It, Fix It event:
- Bring items in need of repair to one of the local participating businesses or to the Don’t Pitch It, Fix It! event at the Blanchard Park YMCA
- Share your “fix it” skills and sign up to be a repair volunteer. You will meet new people, make connections and reduce waste.
- Volunteer to assist at the event with setup, sign-ins, and other tasks as needed.
For any questions about the event, the location, volunteering, or a specific repair, contact:
Lauren Staly, Pollution Prevention Coordinator
Phone: (407) 836-1401